How To Overcome Social Anxiety & Start Living In The Now!
Do You Or A Loved One Suffer From Social Anxiety?
If you do, I am here to tell you you are NOT alone.
Social Anxiety is a disorder, however, I am here to help!
Or, if you are a loved one reading this for someone, I am here to guide you to help your loved one!
I personally go through social anxiety.
Some days are fantastic, & other days I just feel so incredibly alone.
I don’t feel like anyone ever understands me & when I do tell other people they kind of laugh and tell me that “it’s all in my head.”
I do know one thing though, and it is that I am capable of getting through anything.
I won’t let this define me and it’s time I conquer it once and for all.
I really hope you feel the same way as I do and are at the edge of your seat to find out how to spring back your mental health.<3
What Is Social Anxiety Disorder?
- According to webmd, Social Anxiety Disorder is a chronic mental health condition in which social interactions cause irrational anxiety.
Symptoms: sensation of constant danger, fear, anxiety, palpitations, social isolation, mental fog, or sweating. (I experience all and some.)
**Mental Disorders are just as scary as cancer. In a previous blog post, I explain why. Click Here to find out! Pretty eye opening if you ask me. 🙂
5 Simple Steps To Overcome Social Anxiety
1. Self Reflection
- Take a step back and ask yourself, “Am I really in danger?”
- Visualization– imagine yourself before you step foot into any place out of your comfort zone exactly what you are going to do and how you are going to do it. Make a plan. An ideal successful plan so you can conquer your social outing before you even get there. Your mind will believe that, that plan is exactly what’s going to happen.
- Example: Before I go to the grocery store, I imagine myself walking into the store with confidence, grabbing my cart, and getting everything I need on my list with grace. I then imagine myself walking up to the cashier, giving them my credit card, and maybe even talking to them in a few positive words like: hello, how’re you? Then, I am imagine myself leaving the store with the same energy that I started with!
This visualization trick is truly magical and I invite you to try it!
Take 3 minutes to meditate in your house or in your car right before you leave to go to a social outing. This includes anything from going to a friends house, to going to a classroom, or even going to dinner. (put sun glasses on if you feel like you are being stared out or feel embarrassed when publicly meditating).
This will calm your mind, body, & soul before you embrace the real world.
Also, you can include this pranayma breathing technique called: Alternate Nostril Breathing.
This breathing technique is my absolute go to.
It balances out the energy channels in the body. It also connects the mind, body, and the soul together, so they are balanced and calm!
3. Exposure Therapy
This will definitely be the hardest challenge for you, or loved ones. As it is for me.
However, in order to get mentally stronger, sometimes we must fall, but when we get back up and try again that’s when we are becoming stronger than ever: mentally, physically, and spiritually.
Exposure therapy is as simple (and as difficult) as it sounds. You must expose your self socially every day to others. Even if it’s going to your parents house that day, something is better than nothing. 🙂
If you feel like every day seems totally way too far fetched from where you are right now, start small. Once a week for a month. Twice a week for a month and so on.<3
4. Plan For Your Day
Everyday write out a list of goals and plans that you have for your day.
This plan will help you to de-clutter your mind and give you something to look forward to!
Having daily tasks helps me stay organized, calm, and collected. It brings my stress down immensely as well.
I have created an awesome free planner where you can keep track of your daily list of things to accomplish! Click here to receive it!
Or, if you would like a planner that is engaging and more so in a booklet ready to go: Click Here!
1. Meditate 3 minutes.
2. Go to class at 12.
3. Babysit at 3:30-6:30.
4. Do yoga.
5. Make dinner for family.
6. Write in journal.
5. Last But Surely Not Least, Track Your Lovely Progress!
There is nothing more exciting and igniting than seeing your own lovely progress. EVEN IF IT’S BABY STEPS. Any steps, is incredible. Just remember, sometimes we fall, but like I said earlier as long as you keep getting up and moving forward you are becoming stronger than ever: mentally physically, and spiritually.
- Daily: rate how your overall day went, vent out any emotions that you have been keeping in throughout your day, and journal what went right and what you could do better for days to come.
- Monthly: Track your improvements, look into what helps you relax in times of social anxiety, and fixate on your awesome progress!
Luckily for you I have made an awesome free diary (looks like the picture above) where you are able to track your daily and monthly progress that way you are always aware of your awesome successful progress! Click Here to receive it! Or if you scroll down to the end of this post it will be located there as well for your convenience 🙂
PS if you are in need for some AWESOME support with people just like me.
Click here to join my lovely Facebook group.
Are you ready to heal your life? I sure hope so <3
Take Care. Be The Light.
Disclosure: I am an Amazon Affiliate.
Latest posts by Rachel (see all)
- 10 Things To Stop Doing In Order To Love Your Body - February 20, 2018
- 30 Day Journal Prompts For Self-Discovery - February 11, 2018
- 7 Inspiring TED Talks That Will Change Your Life - February 6, 2018
- Design Your Dream Meditation Room – A Great Guide for Beginners - January 26, 2018
- Top 5 Must-Have Essential Oils For Every House or Beginners - January 18, 2018