Yoga For Stress Relief During The Holidays
Does The Holidays Stress You Out?
You know what, I used to stress out too! (sigh)
I would have a major break down every holiday because I was just way to overwhelmed.
The 3 p’s: people, parties, and presents…
It’s ironic because I thought holiday’s were supposed to be merry, bright, and stress free?
However, it wasn’t until I discovered yoga that holiday’s are much more stress free for me!
Below I will show you my favorite yoga poses for stress relief.
These yoga poses can be done repetitively (the longer the better)!
So when in doubt don’t stress out over the Holiday’s…
DO YOGA! 😀
*Hold each pose for 1 minute and repeat for a total of 10 minutes! :D*
1. Childs Pose (Balasana)
- Begin on your hands and knees.
- Sit on your feet and open up your hips to the edge of the mat.
- Bend forward and drop your torso between your thighs.
- Extend your arms out so they are parallel to one another. Breathe.
- You can choose not to extend your arms out and just put them behind your back.
- (see picture)
- Great stress reducer.
- Helps fight fatigue.
- Calms and soothes the brain.
- Balances the body.
2. Boat Pose (Paripurna Navasana) With Breath of Fire
- Begin by sitting down with your knees up and your feet flat on the mat.
- First raise your legs together to about a 60 degree angle.
- Then lift your arms parallel to your feet. (you can choose to not lift your arms)
- Begin the breath of fire for 30 seconds, rest, and repeat.
- This one is a tough one, but it’s honestly the BEST for stress.
- Stress reliever.
- Increases your ability to concentrate and stay focused.
- Calms the mind.
- Builds core strength. (extra bonus)
How to do the breath of fire: (watch video):
3. Eagle Pose (Garuda)
- Begin in Mountain Pose.
- Bend your knees, enough so you feel like you are sitting on a chair.
- Take your right leg and wrap it around your left legs, while balancing on your left leg.
- Extend your arms out straight and wrap the right arm over the left.
- Balances the left and right brain, allowing your mind to focus.
- Great for reducing extra stress in the body.
4. Dolphin Pose (Ardha Pincha Mayurasana)
- Begin on your hands and knees
- Place your arms parallel to one another flat on the mat, with your elbows down on the mat.
- Lift your butt up towards the sky. (very similar to downward facing dog)
- Begin to straighten your legs out.
- By now your body should look like the letter “A” or upside down “V.”
- Let your head dangle and gaze toward your legs.
- (See picture)
- Stress relief.
- Anxiety relief.
- Improves fatigue and mild depression.
- Improves memory and concentration.
5. Standing Forward Fold (Uttanasana)
- Breathe in and place your feet together, while standing up straight
- Gently bring your upper torso down to meet your lower torso, while breathing out.
- Place hands on the ground or wrapped around your legs (see picture ).
- Stay there for 1 minute and keep breathing.
- When you are finished, slowly get up (bringing your head up last).
- Calms the mind, body, and soul.
- Calms the nervous system.
- Helps fight fatigue, depression, and anxiety.
- Helps release stress from the body.
I hope this really helps you release that extra stress through the holidays, or honestly anytime!
What’s your favorite way to release stress?
Latest posts by Rachel (see all)
- 10 Things To Stop Doing In Order To Love Your Body - February 20, 2018
- 30 Day Journal Prompts For Self-Discovery - February 11, 2018
- 7 Inspiring TED Talks That Will Change Your Life - February 6, 2018
- Design Your Dream Meditation Room – A Great Guide for Beginners - January 26, 2018
- Top 5 Must-Have Essential Oils For Every House or Beginners - January 18, 2018